These little nibbles are great if you’re having friends around for drinks. They’re also lovely for a picnic. Don’t forget to make sure you’re using vegetarian parmesan.
Parmesan and Mixed Seed Bites
250g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
A generous pinch of salt
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 teaspoon caraway seed
20g finely grated vegetarian parmesan cheese
100ml cold water
1. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt together. Mix in the seeds and the parmesan cheese.
2. Cut the butter into small cubes and rub the butter into the flour mixture until it looks like breadcrumbs.
3. Add 100ml of cold water and mix well until the mixture forms a firm dough. If you need to, add a splash more water. Lightly knead the dough into a ball, but don’t overwork the mix.
4. Lay out two long sheets of clingfilm. Place the ball of dough onto one sheet and cover with the second sheet. Roll the dough out between the two sheets. The dough needs to be quite thin, around 2mm. Pull back the top sheet of cling film and prick the dough all over. Recover with the clingfilm. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
6. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Use a small star-shaped cutter to cut out shapes from the dough. Spread the shapes across the baking tray. Bake in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
These nibbles will keep in an airtight tin for a few days.