One of my favourite things about long weekends is the opportunity to cook a delicious breakfast. My mum bought me a waffle machine for Christmas. At first I thought it was one of those bits of kitchen equipment that would gather dust, but I’ve used it lots. It’s really quick and easy to whip up a batch of delicious waffles.
Gingerbread Waffles (Serves 4)
100g caster sugar
100g melted butter
200g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Turn the waffle machine on so that it will start heating up while you make the batter. Spray the surfaces generously with a cooking oil spray, such as Frylight.
2. Whisk the eggs with the sugar and whisk well. Add in the melted butter and whisk again into a smooth batter.
3. Add the flour, baking powder and spices and stir the mixture together.
4. Gently whisk in the milk, making sure the batter has a smooth consistency.
5. When the waffle maker has warmed up, placed the required amount of mix onto the baking surface. (For my machine its about 2 tablespoons of batter for each waffle.) Close the waffle iron and let each waffle bake for around 3 minutes. They should be golden brown.
Serve with sliced banana and a drizzle of maple syrup