Red lentil soup (Serves 4)
250g red lentils
1 finely chopped onion
1 carrot, peeled and diced
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 litre vegetable stock
Red wine vinegar
1. Give the lentils a really good rinse.
2. Add the vegetables, garlic, herbs and stock to a pan and bring to the boil.
3. Turn the heat down and allow the mixture to simmmer for 25 minutes, keeping the soup covered.
4. Add seasoning as required.
5. Drizzle a small amount of red wine vinegar onto the top of the soup.
The idea of a swirl of red wine vinegar and the basis of this soup comes from the Abel and Cole cookbook. It’s a lovely book, with a really simple approach to cooking, which includes recipes for vegetarians and meat-eaters.
For me, the red wine vinegar really makes a fabulous addition to the soup.