We eat pasta a lot at our house, but we don’t often vary our recipes. I thought we’d try something a bit different and decided to vegetarianise Amatriciana pasta.
Amatriciana Vegetariana (Serves 2)
Oil for frying
4 slices of Quorn vegetarian bacon
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
250g rigatoni pasta (or other shape of your choice)
Vegetarian parmesan to serve
1. Finely chop the onion and fry gently until it starts to become translucent.
2. In a seperate pan, getting the pasta cooking.
3. Using scissors, cut the Quorn bacon strips into slices. Add to the onions and continue cooking until the bacon begins to gain some colouration.
4. Add the chilli flakes and the passata to the pan with the onions and Quorn, with 2 tablespoons of cooking water from the pasta pan. Stir well and season with black pepper.
5. Allow the sauce to simmer, while the pasta cooks.
6. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Mix well to coat the pasta. Serve topped with vegetarian parmesan cheese.
Apparently this sauce is often eaten with Bucatini pasta, which is a tube like pasta, similar to spaghetti, so I’m going to keep an eye out for that.