Here’s a twist on a classic dessert. I’ve gone for a chocolate orange flavouring instead of the traditional breadcrumb and raspberry jam filling.
Princess of Puddings (Serves 6)
50g unsalted butter
300g chocolate cake crumbs
4 large eggs, seperated
Grated rind of one orange
70g caster sugar
3 tbsp marmalade
1. Heat up the milk and butter in a saucepan and bring to almost boiling.
2. Remove from the heat and stir in the cake crumbs.
3. Set to one side.
4. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
5. Beat the egg yolks with the orange zest and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir into the cake crumbs mixture. Spoon into a large ovenproof dish. Bake for 25 minutes.
6. Allow the base to cool for 10 minutes. Thinly spread the marmalade over the base.
7. Whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks. Gently fold in the remaining tablespoon of sugar. Spread the meringue over the base, swirling into peaks. Sprinkle lighlty with sugar. Bake for 10 minutes, until the meringue is golden brown.