I decided to treat myself to a casserole dish, mainly because I thought it was beautiful, not becuase I cook many casseroles! I always felt that a casserole dish wasn’t really a key piece of equipment in a vegetarian kitchen, particularly as I associated casserole dishes with recipes that took a long time to cook.
I did like having a great big pot full of food and I’ll be looking out for other recipes.
This is more of a construction suggestion than a recipe.
Leek and Potato Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Peel and slice 4 potatoes thinly. I used a mandoline.
- Wash and chop 1 large leek into 50mm slices.
- Drain and rinse one tin of butterbeans and one tin of sweetcorn.
- Prepare 500ml vegetable stock. I used a stock cube. Stir in 2 heaped teaspoons of wholegrain mustard.
- Construct the casserole by layering up the potatoes, then a layer of the vegetables, then more potatoes. After a few layerspour over a covering of the stock. Keep repeating until you end with a layer of potatoes. Dot the potatoes on the top with a little butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the potatoes are soft.