This is a very sweet and very pink cake – perfect for a Valentine’s Day treat.
For the cake:
250g Light Demerara sugar
300g self-raising flour
200g glace cherries
For the icing:
200g butter at room temperature
400g icing sugar
Around 12 maraschino cherries and 4 tbsp syrup from the jar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease two 20cm cake tins.
- Prepare the cherries by chopping them in half and then rinsing them well. Use a little flour to coat the cherries. This will stop them sinking to the bottom of the cake. (I love finding a whole cherry in a bite of cake so I usually chop around half of them into two and leave the rest whole.)
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, alternating with a spoonful of flour.
- Add the remaining flour and mix in well.
- Fold in the cherries.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 40-50 mins, then allow to cool before icing.
- To make the icing, blend the cherries and syrup together in a mini processor. Meanwhile, beat the icing sugar and butter together in a mixer until well combined. Mix for a further 3 minutes so the mixture is light and fluffly. Mix in the cherries. Use this icing to fill the cake and cover the top and sides.