Seeing Spots has set the challenge to write about Tips for attending events. (Interestingly, I’m attending a conference for work in Glasgow today, so have had to pre-write and schedule this post.)
I decided that it would be more useful to record my top 5 cooking related tips.
1. Use a teaspoon to peel ginger.
2. If your hands smell of garlic when you’ve been cooking, rub them on a stainless steel sink or tap for a few seconds before washing them to help remove the door.
3. Did you know you can freeze leftover coconut milk from a tin in icecube trays?
4. Read the whole recipe fully before you begin! (I speak from experience after making Scottish tablet for my brother-in-law and only realising part way through the process that 30 mins of vigorous stirring was required!)
5. This is one I’m going to try next time I’m making mash. The tip is from Wolfgang Puck, via the Foodnetwork.com site. “When making mashed potatoes, after you drain the potatoes, return them to the hot pan, cover and let them steam for 5 minutes. This allows the potatoes to dry out so they’ll mash to a beautiful texture and soak up butter and cream easily.”