First ever blog post – Jelly

My first ever blog post was about vegetarian jelly and vegetarian setting agents.

In honour of that post I thought I’d add a new jelly recipe. I’m just waiting for it to set – I’ve been away in Glasgow for the last few days and just got home. I’ll update this post tomorrow.


Here’s a picture of my effort at marbled jelly, made by making two brightly coloured jellies, chopping them into small chunks and encasing them in a creamy jelly.


Rather than a recipe, I’ll write a bit about what I discovered 😉

  • I used the book ‘Jelly with Bompas and Parr’ as the basis of my experiment. Their recipes all use gelatine and I need to spend more time mastering adapting them to vegetarian setting agents.
  • The flavours were cherry, lime and almond milky jelly. The flavour combination worked well and it’s one I would use again.
  • The lime jelly needed a LOT more setting agent to firm up (I was using agar flakes). My book said this was due to the acid.
  • The cherry jelly was delicious, due in no small part I’m sure to the addition of plenty of Kirsch. I would make the cherry jelly again on its own.
  • You need to make sure the milk jelly is cool enough so that when you pour it over the other two colours it won’t melt them. This will probably take longer than you think!
  • This would be a good way of using up leftover jelly.

This was definitely a learning experience, but I’m glad I challenged myself to try something different.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s