When it comes to food and eating out, I often like to try something different, but I am prepared to admit that sometimes the classics shouldn’t be messed with. I don’t think there’s much that needs changing when it comes to Rock Buns; they’re one of my favourite easy recipes when you want something comforting to eat alongside a nice cup of tea. However, I’ve recently been tempted to try something a bit different and it did make a nice change, so here’s my suggestion for Chocolate Orange Rock Buns
Chocolate Orange Rock Buns (makes 12)
200g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g granulated sugar
Finely grated zest of ½ an orange
3 tbsp Orange juice
Demerara sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and lightly oil two baking trays.
2. Soak the sultanas in 2 tbsp of the orange juice.
3. Add the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder to a bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and rub the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Add the sugar, egg, sultanas and any remaining juice and orange zest and mix well. The mixture needs to be stiff, but not too dry. Add a splash more orange juice if needed, only adding a little at a time.
5. Use two teaspoons to dollop the mixture in 12 rough heaps on the baking sheets, remember they are meant to look rugged! Sprinkle the Demerara sugar over the top. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
These are best eaten soon after baking.
It’s easy to make vegan rock cakes too. I just substitute vegan vegetable spread for the butter and 3 tbsp non-dairy milk for the egg.