These are great for a party snack or for a side dish to accompany your lunch or breakfast. You can experiment with adding different things in place of the asparagus.
Cheesy Potato and Asparagus Puffs (makes 12)
500g potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
8 asparagus spears
2 medium free range eggs
50g grated cheddar cheese
3 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Grease a 12 hole muffin tin. Make sure you do it really well, these ones take a bit of manuoevering to get them out of the tin!
3. Bring the potatoes to the boil and simmer for around 15 minutes until soft.
4. Meanwhile cook the asparagus anyway you choose, I usually steam or cook it in a skillet on the hob. Cut the asparagus into 1 cm long pieces.
5. Seperate two eggs. Whip the whites until fluffy and set to one side.
6. When they are cooked, drain the potatoes well and mash thoroughly.
7. Mix the cheese, asparagus, milk, butter and egg yolks into the potato until thoroughly combined. Gently fold in the whisked egg whites.
8. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
9. On removing the tray from the oven, run a knife around the edge of each puff to ease it away from the tin, but wait until they have cooled before extracting them.