Stick marzipan and cherry buns (makes 12)
150g caster sugar
2 large free range eggs
150g self raising flour
1 tsp almond extract
75g glacé cherries, washed and halved
50g marzipan, cut into 5mm cubes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare a bun tray by lining with bun cases.
2. Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, alternating with mixing in some of the flour. Once all the flour is stirred in, add the almond extract.
4. Stir in the cherries and the marzipan pieces.
5. Divide the mixture between the bun cases. Bake for 20 mins until golden and risen.
6. If you want to ice the buns, I would suggest starting with this recipe here. I made a wet style icing, but you can make something firmer and good for piping if you want by playing around with the volumes of ingredients.
This is a very sweet and very pink cake – perfect for a Valentine’s Day treat.
For the cake:
250g Light Demerara sugar
300g self-raising flour
200g glace cherries
For the icing:
200g butter at room temperature
400g icing sugar
Around 12 maraschino cherries and 4 tbsp syrup from the jar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease two 20cm cake tins.
- Prepare the cherries by chopping them in half and then rinsing them well. Use a little flour to coat the cherries. This will stop them sinking to the bottom of the cake. (I love finding a whole cherry in a bite of cake so I usually chop around half of them into two and leave the rest whole.)
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, alternating with a spoonful of flour.
- Add the remaining flour and mix in well.
- Fold in the cherries.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 40-50 mins, then allow to cool before icing.
- To make the icing, blend the cherries and syrup together in a mini processor. Meanwhile, beat the icing sugar and butter together in a mixer until well combined. Mix for a further 3 minutes so the mixture is light and fluffly. Mix in the cherries. Use this icing to fill the cake and cover the top and sides.
These chewy slices, with their whole cherries glistening inside are perfect for Comic Relief bake sales.
Chewy Cherry Slices (makes 10 slices)
100g caster sugar
200g Sainsbury’s own brand condensed milk
2 tbsp golden syrup
200g glace cherries
200g Rice Crispies
1. Melt the butter and sugar together in a pan over a low heat. Keep stirring the mixture throughout.
2. Add the condensed milk and golden syrup and bring the mixture to the boil. Simmer for 1 minute.
3. Add the cherries, I like to keep them whole, and the rice crispies. Mix well.
4. Pour into a tin and smooth the mixture down. Leave to cool.
This doesn’t keep for long so is best consumed within 24 hours of making.