Stick marzipan and cherry buns (makes 12)
150g caster sugar
2 large free range eggs
150g self raising flour
1 tsp almond extract
75g glacé cherries, washed and halved
50g marzipan, cut into 5mm cubes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare a bun tray by lining with bun cases.
2. Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, alternating with mixing in some of the flour. Once all the flour is stirred in, add the almond extract.
4. Stir in the cherries and the marzipan pieces.
5. Divide the mixture between the bun cases. Bake for 20 mins until golden and risen.
6. If you want to ice the buns, I would suggest starting with this recipe here. I made a wet style icing, but you can make something firmer and good for piping if you want by playing around with the volumes of ingredients.